Collection, management, utilization, and reuse of architectural data and information are a complex task. Successful execution of that task requires knowledge of both data structures and the body of knowledge related to the purpose for which an architecture is being created i.e., “Fitfor- Purpose” as described in Section 2 of Volume 1. If exchanging architectural data, the PES is the specification for the exchange. The PES provides an efficient and standard means to ensure that data sharing can occur in a toolset-agnostic, methodology-agnostic environment. Use of the eXtensible Markup Language (XML) Schema Definitions (XSDs) by architects to document architectural data and information in tools, through spreadsheets, or other means, and deposit that data and organized information into federated repositories is facilitated by the common understanding underlying the use of the PES.
Exchange of DM2 PES XML Documents:
The DM2 PES XML schema (XSD) provides a neutral format for data exchange between:
• EA databases.
• DoD Authoritative Source Databases (e.g., DoD Information Technology Portfolio Repository [DITPR]).
• Unified Profile for DoDAF and Ministry of Defence Architecture Framework (MODAF) (UPDM) and SysML-based Unified Markup Language (UML) Tools.
• Other Information Technology (IT) and enterprise architecture Tools.
• Modeling and Simulation Tools that are used in EA assessments, e.g., AoA’s.
• Reporting Tools, e.g., for Chairman of the Joint Chief of Staff Instruction (CJCSI) or Department of Defense Instruction (DoDI) submission.
• Systems Engineering Tools.
• Other Federal agencies (e.g., Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Department of Justice (DoJ).
• Coalition partners and North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
• Other organizations with which DoD exchanges Enterprise Architecture (EA) data (e.g., industry, States, National Government Organizations [NGO’s]).
Replaced/Superseded by document(s)
|File||MIME type||Size (KB)||Language||Download|
|DoD Architecture Framework Vol. III DoDAF Meta-model.pdf||application/pdf||334.53 KB||English||DOWNLOAD!|
Department of Defense Architecture Framework (DoDAF) Version 2.0 introduces a DoDAF Meta-model (DM2), consisting of a Conceptual Data Model (CDM), Logical Data Model (LDM), and Physical Exchange Specification (PES) as an integral part of the architecture framework. Volume 3 introduces the DM2, which replaces the Core Architecture Data Model (CADM) referenced in previous versions of DoDAF. The DM2 provides a means to collect architecture-related data, organize the data into useful information by architects and architecture Development Teams, store the information for later reuse, and facilitate management analysis of architectural data and information for decisionmaking purposes, as further described below. This volume provides links for DoDAF PES files, the role of the PES and its’ relationships, and guidance for actions that need to be taken when exchanging architectural data between architectures developed using the same or different versions of DoDAF.